Thursday, June 4, 2015

A Conversation with Former STEP Student Charlotte Wood

Charlotte Wood graduated from the Humphrey School this past December and is currently based in Washington, DC.

Q: What’s your story?

I was born and raised in Rotorua, New Zealand. In 2008 I played with the NZ U17 & U20 women's soccer teams at their respective FIFA World Cups and subsequently accepted a scholarship offer to play soccer and study at Oklahoma State University. After a year as a microbiology major, I realized two things. First, I really did not enjoy working in a lab, and second, economics and political science were a lot more interesting than my high school teachers had led me to believe. As a result, I switched my academic focus to environmental science and policy which led me to the Humphrey School and then to Washington, D.C., where I live now.

Q: How did you end up at the Humphrey School?

I first heard about the Humphrey School from Tracy Boyer, my advisor at Oklahoma State and former Humphrey alum. After looking into what the Humphrey school offered, I visited as part of the diversity day’s initiative and was immediately impressed by the sense of community and wide range of opportunities offered to students at Humphrey. The MS-STEP program was also a perfect fit for my background and future interests, as it allowed me to build off my science background and develop a complementary policy skill set.

Q: What did you study during your time here?

As an MS-STEP student, I studied a range of issues within the science policy arena. I came to the program with an interest in water issues, something I pursued in both class work and through a research assistantship with Professor Deb Swackhamer. While still being passionate about water resource policy (register to learn about the upcoming webinar I’m organizing here), I ended up taking course work or researching a range of issues including innovation policy, renewable energy, green chemistry, and global policy.

Q: Any advice for MS-STEP students?

Two things. First, get involved with the Boreas Leadership Program at the Institute on the Environment. The networking opportunities are great, the workshops incredibly helpful, and you actually have the opportunity to get out of your comfort zone and practice the skills you develop. Second, don’t think you have to choose a specific focus. During my 1.5 years as a student I worked on issues from wind energy to green chemistry. I initially thought my ability to choose a focus was disadvantageous, but after entering the world of science policy I’ve learnt that a broader set of interests just sets you up for a different type of work.

Q: Do you have any fun memories of the STEP program that you'd like to share?

One of my favorite memories from my time as a STEP student was our 2014 STEP retreat where we stayed at a cabin for the weekend, hiked, cooked great food, cross country skied, and took some time to discuss what was and wasn’t working for us in the STEP program. It was incredible that such a diverse group got on so well despite being crammed in a cabin for the weekend, but that’s just what makes the STEP program so great.

Q: What are you doing now that you've graduated?

After graduating from Humphrey in December, I moved to the Washington, D.C. area and started working at the American Geosciences Institute (AGI) as the AGI/Schlumberger Fellow in Geoscience Communication. I primarily work with the Critical Issues Program, which aims to make it easier for decision makers to find, understand, and use geoscience information in the policy making process. There isn’t really a typical day in my position as my fellowship has me working on creating new content at the AGI office, at Capitol Hill attending briefings, and at a myriad of science policy events and conferences throughout the DC area. As you can imagine, the networking skills from Humphrey have really come in handy.

When I’m not working, I’m really enjoying the novel experience of not having papers, projects, and research to worry about when I get home at night. Instead, I get to explore the fantastic bike trails (not as great as MSP, of course) in the DC area, work as a soccer coach with a local club, and cook delicious meals rather than subsisting off the regular West Bank rotation of Afro Deli, Hard Times, Keefer Court, Arcadia, and Republic. My fellowship with AGI runs until February 2016 and after that, who knows. Maybe it’s time to head back home to New Zealand?
© 2015 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved. The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Privacy Statement